Flatmates, WLAN, and Dryers

Flatmates: As part of my contract, I am provided housing in a lovely fully furnished flat, about twenty minutes from school on public transportation. I will be sharing the flat with three other people, who will be also teaching at ISS this coming year, which means I'll have flatmates! Sarah is from Korea, Julia is from Canada, and Billy is from the States. I am excited to get to meet them all in just a few short days (18 to be exact).

WLAN: When I first heard the word WLAN, I was so confused about what the word meant as well as what purpose it served in a house. I thought maybe it would have been the name for the cable or something of that nature. WLAN is actually the word that Germans used to mean WIFI. 

Dryers: It is very common for Germans to only have washing machines, most times in the basement (if one is living in an multi-level apartment). Most Germans hang dry their clothing on clothing lines along the balcony or on a drying line in the backyard of the apartment building. As someone who has always had a dryer wherever I have lived, the thought of not having a dryer in the apartment kind of scared me. Thanks to Google Maps, I found a lovely laundromart about a five minute bus ride from my flat, where they have washers and dryers for people to use. 


Marienplatz, Stuttgart, Germany